Friday, November 9, 2007

small groups / Red Rocks

We have official small groups here at YWAM. My group has been dubbed the "extra small group" because one guy went home because of a health issue a couple weeks in, so now it's just three of us including our leader. It's myself, Garth from North Dakota, and our leader is Darren from, ya you betcha, Minnesota. We have official small group time on Thursday mornings and we also hang out sometimes on weekends and whenever besides that time. Small group time is actually one of my favorite times. It's just fun to hang out with those guys, but I also love the discussion, which gets quite deep and fruitful sometimes. I've always been sort of class-shy and don't interact a ton, but small group discussions are different. They are just basically conversations and it's good stuff.

Anyways, yesterday for small group we went to Red Rocks amphitheater, which is a famous outdoor concert venue about 15 minutes away from our base. Bands like The Beatles, U2, Coldplay and so many more have played there, and it's, from what I've heard and read, one of the best places to see someone play live. It actually won an award for greatest concert venue by some magazine (forget which one) so many times that they pulled it from the competition and just named the award the "Red Rocks Award." And U2 played there in 1983, and have not played there since because they said it was such an amazing experience that they don't want to go back and ruin it.

So yesterday I walked around on the same stage that John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Bono, Chris Martin, and (insert rock star here) performed on at some time. Sweet.


Red Rocks amphitheater from the top


Darren, me, Garth on stage


There were no bands playing yesterday, but they leave the amphitheater open to the public basically all the time, so we just went there and walked around.

Yeah, Red Rocks is cool. And I decided I'm going to play there someday.

No comments: